Sunday, May 27, 2012

Wasp Bag – my new BFF

I just had to dedicate a whole post to this fabulous pattern.

My long-serviced Accessorise handbag had finally begun to give up the ghost. I LOVE my golden yellow Breagha handbag, but sadly Harris Tweed is not ideal for hot summer days… I began searching the internet for inspiration and ideas for a summer version, thinking I could raid my stash, maybe, for the right pattern…

P1090624-001And what a pattern! The use of the thrifted leather belt for shoulder strap reminded me of a scrap length of gold leather I ‘liberated’ from a wardrobe department I once worked in, and I FINALLY found a use for my favourite ever piece of printed canvas (it’s either linen, silk or cotton twill – it’s a dense weave, but is very light in weight and doesn’t crease like linen, so I’m veering towards silk…) that I found in a bin at a charity shop for about 50p.

 

 

 

 P1090626-001

I took it out this morning for the first time, with Tilly in tow… This is a rundown of the contents this morning:

  • wallet
  • keys
  • phone
  • sunglasses (in case)
  • three lipbalms
  • large Factor 50 suncream
  • Tshirt, leggings and pants in case of ‘accident’
  • Tilly’s sunglasses
  • water bottle
  • business card holder
  • 2 x hankies
  • cereal bar
  • mini raisins box
  • travel card wallet
  • nail file
  • mints
  • hand sanitiser
  • cheque book
  • pen
  • hair bobble

Suffice to say, this is no pansy-ass bag. This feels substantial, carries your cr*p like the Tardis and still looks stylish.

And yet, it still manages to squeeze itself out of less than 70cm of fabric and only take an evening to knock together.

 P1090625-001

I *fear* every person I know is going to get one of these for Christmas… Colour/ print requests accommodated on a first come, first served basis…

No comments: