Friday, November 25, 2011

The (dried) fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree

P1080624I’m holding Paola of Mirrormirror responsible for my latest culinary extravaganza. Her annual mincemeat enthusiasm has finally worn off, and as I am not constrained by the limits of US import laws, I thought it only fair to have a go already.

A mincemeat spectacular has been brewing here. Having inherited a rather bulging bag of cooking apples over the weekend, it seemed only fair to start Stir Up (ahem) Monday with some dried fruit shenanigans.

Round one included good ol’ meet blobs in the form of Atora and this recipe…

sorry Paola, but grating raw meat is slightly beyond me

P1080622 

The resulting gorgeousness is utterly palatable, despite its congealed-fat-interim stage that I’m happy to gloss over.

P1080630 P1080632P1080629

After canning, Tils confirmed that she could happily get involved in the domestic requirements of the house.

Round Two is on the hob… Hettie’s Suet Free Mincemeat from Domestic Goddess… Thus far it smells as good as the first, but I’m not convinced that it won’t end up just being a posh, spiced (ha ha) apple sauce… The gelatinous ooze of Mincemeat the First is just not being created in the absence of raw animal fat… Will post pictures of the finished products and let you know.

Local readers, let me know when you’re ready for the blind taste-test… It’s a hard job, but dedicated comrades of the writer will know true friendship exists when they are called upon in such circumstances.

No comments: