Sunday, October 30, 2011

Non-gory Halloween

P1080449Having been brought up in the States, I have an incredibly broad definition of what constitutes a Halloween costume. I established my general horror of the British version of Halloween within about two months of arriving back in the UK, aged 11. I went to a Halloween party in the Cotswolds dressed as Lucy Maud Montgomery. I know, I was a geek. But I was also NOT a ghost, witch or spider… Needless to say, the strange child in the corduroy was viewed with no small amount of suspicion…

I have decided, now, to stick to the basics, until I can convince the Boy that I need a Halloween on the proper side of the Atlantic some time in the future.

I’m slightly against, however, dressing my child in costumes requiring fake blood, exposed bones or scaring other children… Sadly, she has been invited to two separate Halloween events this weekend, so a costume of sorts is required…

I came across this lovely tutorial a while back and required a bit of judicious googling to uncover it again. I had a tablecloth in my stash that had been embroidered rather haphazardly (!) and was not really suitable for my usual reusing in teacosy, bib or hanging heart form. A donated white cotton curtain provided suitable strength for the lining and it was a pretty simple affair.

I decided to base the shape on the embroidery in front of me, and came up with this ‘B’ shaped outline. Cut twice, there are now two sets of wings, probably one to be sold or given to a friend of Tils for an upcoming birthday. Right sides together, sewn around, trimmed and snipped before turning through, a quick iron and then attaching of elastic at the back and wrists.

P1080443

At last – a costume that’s simple, effective, doesn’t restrict important exploring and appeals to my creative instincts…

P1080455  P1080447 

It did rather flummox some of the more traditionalist costumes there though…

No comments: