Wednesday, June 22, 2011

One pair of old trousers+one tablecloth =

A new frock for Tilly.

Goodness me this child is ridiculously spoilt.

P1070527 P1070531

One pair of trousers given to me by my sister-in-law. I’m sadly too curvy to make use of them for me, but I rather liked the linen fabric and thought it would be a shame to simply give them away…

P1070538  P1070544

Used a lovely technique I learned on a McCalls pattern when I was about 15 for facing or lining simple bodices with a back seam, so that you have finished the neckline and armscye edges in one move. It’s one of those straightforward ones if you know it, and very handy if you don’t…I’m intending to put together a little tutorial on it: watch this space, and it may appear … soon...

P1070542

Pockets were the damaged remains of a square embroidered tablecloth/wallhanging that I found at an auction. These two pieces had been patched just above the embroidery, so I used that bulk to turn over and create the upper edge and then just hemmed the edges over and stitched.

P1070563I quick blitz on the iron, grabbed a piece of vintage millinery ribbon I was lucky enough to be given by an elderly neighbour a few years ago, and you have a dress fit for a church hall party full of chocolate and 3year olds.

All the finest frocks for all the finest events.

Lucky lady.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Lucky lady indeed, and very pretty in her lovely dress too.
Carol xx

alivaux said...

a-freakin-dorable!! love it! she looks fab.